Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, March 26, 2006

STS-Save Their Souls!!!

I study in MIT , a place that requires me to take a train everyday from Nungambakkam to Chromepet. Believe me everyday is an experience. Everyday can be a lesson. Every single day can give something for you to think about. Here is one such event that touches my heart every time I see it happening..
.If you are a regular by train one of the things that would have caught your attention is the number of people who beg!! The number seems to be increasing everyday. There are even sum people I see so regularly that I feel I can recognize them anywhere in the world if I see them!!
There is one group ,actually a threesome who are a regular in these metro trains!!...There is this boy who will play his drums and sing some of the tunes that our famous actors have shaken a leg to and the two girls will dance for it. After their act they go around asking for money (I am not using they word begging because I think they have earned it). You must be wondering what is so heart breaking about this event. The fact is that the boy will be no more than more 7 yrs of age and the girls no more than 4- 5 yrs of age!!...The first time I saw it I was shocked...I was embarrassed to be witnessing it. I wanted to go hug and tell them that everything will be all right and that I will do something for them. But all I could do was just throw in some money into their aluminum plates .Though I know what I did was not entirely correct because of two reasons, one because as citizens we should not encourage it and two for the fact that these kids may not even get the money and it just might go into somebody else's pocket. But somehow I wasnt able to help myself in this accord.
From that day onwards whenever they come into the compartment I either look away or concentrate on any book I can lay my hands on and when they come around after their act I just repeat what I did the first time .But some of my friends developed a better idea by giving them some food packets that they have( i think its an even better idea than money)
There is also one other small thing I notice when these kids perform, is that, hardly any1 else in the compartment finds it odd...they have this amused smile on their faces and continue to stare at these kids.... half of them don't even end up giving something(i mean i have seen people continuing to eat as these kids look on)though I know acts such as giving is purely by choice ,I still end up feeling utterly disgusted by such behavior!!!
Lots of times when I think about the "threesome" I wonder what can be done for them. How cum they seem to have no right to education. No right for some clean clothes (I have seen them wear almost the same set of clothes for the past 3 yrs)..etc... I can go on and on .But in spite of all this they have this utterly adorable smile on their faces and that I think is the epitome of innocence.This incident makes me wonder how many more (I am sure there at least thousands of) kids are in the same state? I keep wondering, is there anything I can do for them?? I am still thinking.......................

9 Comments:

Blogger revadhi said...

really cute kids.. i too wonder what we can do for them.. i feel sorry to see them.. sometimes i feel guilty to have not being able to help them..

6:55 AM  
Blogger Shyam Sundar J said...

Giving away your kutti nephews and nieces old clothes is an easy way to help - no "task master" of these children would be able to make use of the clothes (unlike money).

Making sure they get 3 meals a day requires some organized effort though - it depends on how much help you can extend...maybe all those who care can get them food in a round-robin fashion.

The next level would be education, but thats later...basic necessities first.

Talk to Madhu. She'll be able to give you the correct way to help these kids and how to make sure that the help actually reaches them.

Awesome way to start your blog :) God bless.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kanch..
It was so sweet of you that you think to do good to others, no matter who they are.. i mean atleast you think about them... as they are really struggling to get their life on track doing anything.. God has given all the required things to us and i would suggest we should give something to someone who dont have it... if we have !! practically not possible... but atleast at some point we have to... anyway .. i appreciate the thoughts and i am sure you will do what your mind says and I am personally feel that you are one of my close chap!!! hats off dude! -- ram

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kanchy....it such a sensitive issue which u have raised..........its so sweet of u n understanding at the same time who actually cud phrase down ur thoughts which wud have come at such an innocent moment.....great work dear

1:48 AM  
Blogger monica said...

Ya.. Me too. But i feel really sad seeing these pillars of our country begging for alms.. Pathetic. As a single person I can just feel sorry for them.. And so nice of u to ve thought aloud abt these tiny tots

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey tats a nice touching post.. true i have also witnessed the trio many a times and felt helpless.... so time to ponder... lets try to do something....

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day, i saw a little girl by the street end, her hair matted and hopes shattered.Begging her food across the road, she was nearly nude.Her face reflected, not the childhood innocence we expect to see, but loads of miseries we ve never been through.But, the people she approached, did not share my view and they were busy with their own lives.
That night, I asked God "Oh,God? why is the situation like this? Are you powerless? or Are you being partial to her? She is your child. Why don't you do something about her?". God thought for sometime and then he replied "I ve already done something about her. I ve created YOU".

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,
Great is this blog.But,jus search the net for such blogs and you'll find myriad number of them.All narrating some sad stories which will make you think whether there exists humanity in this world.Loads and Loads of them. And all these blogs are filled with the same i-feel-sorry-for-them sentences.
Half the people i ve asked, promised me that they'll do something to the society when they grow up.I ve also asked many of the grown-ups.They said they were also of the aim to do somethin to improve the society,but that their own personal problems and work didn't let them achieve it.
All of You wonder why is this happening to those three children.But,I wonder why is this happening to us? Though we want to help the society now, why aren't we doing it when we grow up?I am not blaming anyone or accusing anyone.But, the truth is we do not grow up as to what we want to.
i accept we can't help them now, at this stage.But, leave this issue.How many of us have ever donated blood, even when we know it's safe to donate? How many of us ve ever visited orphanages or attended the INFERNO function in our college where the those orphan children come and exhibit their talents?Money is not the only help we can provide.We can do many other things now.
May be all of us are busy with our own work.I agree, We ve got to prepare well and ve loads of work to do.Only, less time we will be able to spare.
But, please, i ask all of you, to keep on feeding this thought to help the society once you grow up.Even if not now, all of us definitely do somethin once we settle in life. Till then, keep on feeding your thoughts. Keep on driving yourself.
Cos, now we want to help.But, not able to.Sometime later, we would be able to, but we wouldn't want. Please, dont let that happen.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was really moved by ur first article..

i too had the policy of not encouragin such things...but somehow ur words convinced me...will do something for them...

~venks

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home