Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Normal Life of A 21 year old Female Indian Brahmin - Part 2


As Trisha walked down the stairs she found that all eyes were on her. She tried to figure out who was who, but that exercise was turning futile as there were almost 20 unknown people. Just then her mom stands up and walks up to Trisha.

“Trisha, these are Krishna’s parents, Please fall at their feet and get their blessings”
“That’s not necessary, Trisha come and sit down next to me”, said Mrs. Anupama Raman
“Trisha, I hope you are not overwhelmed by the number of people here, it’s just that everybody in our family loves Krishna and we couldn’t leave anyone out on this occasion”
Trisha smiles thinking ,Yea right awesome excuse, nothing is even finalized and I have a hundred unknown people visiting me


“Let me introduce you to the rest of my family, this is Krishna’s uncle Madhav and his wife Lakshmi, this is Krishna’s grandma Rajalakshmi, this is Krishna’s …”
It went on and on and Trisha tuned herself out and suddenly there was a tap on her back and she found her mom staring at her.
“Yea Mom”
“Trisha, Krishna’s Cousin Kartik just asked you a question”
“Am sorry Kartik could you please repeat the question?”
“I was just wondering if you knew Harini, she also happened to study in PSBB, she passed out of school the same year as you did”
“Are you talking about the Harini who lives in Adyar?”
Kartik nods.
“Yea I do know her, we never moved in the same circles but yea she was acquaintance of sorts”
“Trisha, where did you do your engineering?? “, Mr. Madhav questioned.
“At Anna University, Chennai “
“Wow, you must be the brainy kind”
"No, I just got lucky"
“Don’t listen to her Kartik”, Mr. Anand interrupted, “She was always very good at her studies as well as extracurricular, she also sings really well though she has not been trained”
“Krishna was no less, He stood first in school always, Was top 5 in his MBA class , If it ever happens he might even become head the company , he is that intelligent, He works in California for a huge company” , Mrs. Lakshmi Madhav stated with full pride
“Brainy for brainy”, Kartik mocked
“Trisha, please ignore Kartik, Can you sing something for us?” Mrs. Rajalakshmi requested
Trisha looked self-conscious.
“Please Amma don’t embarrass her”, Mr. Raman stated, “Am sure Krishna is waiting to have a chat with her’
“Mrs. And Mr. Anand , We are sorry that Trisha has to chat online instead of meeting him in person but then you know about how things are in US , the only time they are able to take a vacation, is for their wedding and very little else”, Mrs. Anupama apologetically, “Trisha, his email id is krish2cool@yahoo.com”

“Trisha, why don’t you go up to your room and chat? Mrs. Anupama, would anyone in your family like to go with her??”
“Well, Maybe I will go with her, just to introduce them, Mrs. Anand”
“Trisha, please show her your room”
“Mrs. Anupama, This way please”
Trisha was hoping her room was in a decent condition, she didn’t expect Mrs. Anupama to come with her and her Mom had not warned her about it. I have to have a word with my mom later, Trisha thought.

“You have a nice room Trisha, did you decorate it yourself? “

“No actually my cousin Navneetha did, she works as a designer in Singapore”
“Am sure you did that beautiful Anchor quickstich that hangs on your wall”
“No, my mom did that, I have no talent for anything artistic”
“What are your other interests?”
“Books, movies, football”
“Nice, my son loves Football as well; I think they call it Super Sunday”
“Nice”
Trisha turning on her computer and trying to log in to her yahoo account, fervently hoping that this small talk would stop.

“Mrs. Anupama, I have logged in, I think your son is online”
“Ok, let me just type in a small intro “

Trish: Hi Krishna, Trisha's here, you must have already seen her photo and bio data, just talk to her now OK?
Krish: Ok Amma


“Here Trisha chat with him, I will leave now, All the best “
“Thank you”

Krish: Hi Trisha
Trisha: Hi Krishna
Krish: Can you switch on you webcam? , I can switch on mine
Trish: Sure, just give me a min
Krish has invited you to view his webcam Accept Reject
You are now viewing Krish’s webcam
You have invited Krish to view your webcam
Krish has accepted to view your webcam

Trish: you look exactly like you do in your picture
Krish: you look even better than your picture
Trish: Oh my god! Are you flirting with me?
Krish: Well, sorry about that, I guess it sounded corny. I was just trying to break the ice.
Trish: It didn’t sound half bad; you just picked the wrong girl.
Krish: Really, then why did I see you smiling?
Trish: I was just smiling at you desperate ways.
Krish: Ok forget it, Lets start over, Hi I am Krishna, but most people call me Krish and def all the beautiful ones do and so you can too, Wow it sounded like poetry
Trish: do you realize we are chatting for the first time and it is an ARRANGED MARRIAGE scenario
Krish: Well why should that stop us from having some fun?
Trish: True. Though now I have a big question
Krish: what is it?
Trish: Why would a guy like you come in for arranged marriage?? . You seem funny, good looking and everything going for you. Do you have any faults?
Krish: Here are my hands and feet in perfect condition, I can even walk around if you need me too.
Trish: Well am just worried about the mental state not the physical.
Krish: that’s for you to evaluate, how about we switch on the voice and talk to each other, wouldn’t that be better
Trish: Why didn’t you come right out and tell me that you wanted to talk to me.
Krish: It’s not for my benefit, but entirely yours, btw is this your first time??
Trish: you mean the official “girl watching”, No, my 5th actually
Krish: It’s my first.
Trish: Doesn’t seem like it though.
Krish: Voice please
Trish: Ok ok give me a min

“Ok Trish, can I call you that?”
“Since you already have”
“I just want to apologize, my mom did tell me the number of people from my family, here today , I think the whole concept sucks, you must be irritated“
“That’s OK”
“Really?”
“No it pissed me off, but I feel better now”
“Sorry again, so how was your weekend? “
“Weekend was OK, Mom and Dad turned the house upside down in preparation, I wasn’t allowed to venture out , just had to stay in my room and nurture myself, how was yours?”
“Mine was interesting actually, went to visit New York City, It was spectacular”
“I thought you lived in the US for a lot of years, so must have seen it a lot of times”
“Yea I have, but I love to visit that city , it’s beautiful to visit but sucks to live there”

Downstairs everyone was waiting anxiously. Mrs. Srija Anand was done talking to everyone and was now blatantly staring at the stairs. I hope Trisha likes him, his family seems so nice, and Krishna’s job is awesome. I will have an MBA for a son in law. Trisha will be very happy with him.

Mrs. Anupama was equally anxious. After two years, I finally found a horoscope that matches so well, the girl is smart and beautiful; the family is equal to us in status. Please GOD let this work out; I will bring them to Tirupathi after the marriage.

Mrs. Rajalakshmi was now staring at the two mothers. Hopefully my grandson gets married to this girl, I have no idea how long I will live but I hope to see Krishna’s kids before I die.

“Trisha, do you realize we have been talking for about an hour”
“OMG, yes we have been, didn’t seem like one hour”
“True, I felt really comfortable talking to you”
“Me too”
“So what are you going to tell your parents??”
“Well, is it ok if I say I want to think about it, it is a big decision”
“Absolutely, please do so”
“What about you?”
“Well why don’t I delay my answer, I don’t like my ego getting bruised, Just in-case”
“What else?”
“I am getting a call from my office on the other line”
“Ok then bye, Take Care”
“I can talk to them later”
“No problem, please go ahead, I think its time I went down”
“Yea, they will be wondering what happened”
“Ok then bye Krish”
“Bye Trish”


Just then Mr. Raman suddenly stands up.

“Isn’t it about an hour since they started talking?”
“Do you want me to go up and check on Trisha? “
“No Mrs. Anand, I was just asking for an information sake”
“Would you like some more coffee?? Or maybe more bajjis? Or can I offer you something else??”
“No Mrs. Vidhya, I think we all over ate today”
Trisha walks into the room.
“Trisha did you have a nice chat with Krishna?”
“Yes mom I did”
“Mrs. Srija, No hurry, lets give Trisha sometime to think about it”
“Ok Mrs. Anupama, though I don’t think she will need it”
“Well, anyway we need to go back home and talk to Krishna; we will call you as soon as Krishna calls us”
“Thank you”
“Ok Mrs. And Mr. Anand, we will take your leave now, Trisha take care”
“Bye”
“Bye”

As soon as the front door shuts close, Mrs. Srija rushes to Trisha.
“Trisha, tell me what happened, how did it go”
“Srija please don’t push her, she has had a eventful day”
“Its ok Dad, Mom he seemed nice but please let me go to my room and think about it”
“Ok, anyway we have time till they call us”

Trisha now back in her room, in her comfy clothes, thinking. Do I say yes or a no? He seemed nice and normal, compared to the weirdoes I met before. He does look good and is an MBA; I was comfortable talking to him. But how do I decide in one day, on one hour’s worth of conversation. Well, I am going to get the same one hour with the next guy I meet, it’s an arranged marriage remember. I will be in the US won’t I? finally have the freedom to take decisions on my own , do the kind of job I want , study what I want, be myself .Well, I am going to say yes, I won’t get more normal than him in arranged. He seems like non- arranged marriage material and that works for me. Well i guess i have taken my decision . Let me take a nap now I am tired
Just then Trish rememebers "Shit I have to call Tanya."

“Tanya, Hi “
“Hey Trish I was waiting for your call, how did it go. How was Krishna?”
“Well I think I am going to say yes to him”
“Are you sure? How long did you speak to him for??”
“An hour, but that does not matter coz it’s arranged, its going to be this way every time”
“Trish, please be very sure, it’s the biggest decision of your life”
“Tanya, I am pretty sure, he was the first guy I was comfortable talking”
“Trish, please think it over, it’s your life”
“I will Tanya please don’t worry, I won’t make any decision I will regret”
“If you are sure, then all the best, I am so happy for you, and remember I am always there for you”
“Just a phone call away, Right?”
“Right”
“Ok I guess I will wait for their phone call and then tell my mom”
“Trish, no one can say no to you, and the guys who did were crazy”
“Thanks a ton, bye for now anyway”
“Bye take care”

Just then Trish hears a knock.
“Trisha, Can we come in? Are you changing??”
“Non Mom, com on in”
“Trisha, they called, Krishna said yes, isn’t that wonderful, I didn’t expect them to call so quickly”
“They must be blessed to have my daughter”
“Dad please”
“Ok ok, So Trisha what’s your answer?”
“Well Dad it’s a yes from me as well”
“Trisha we are so happy for you, super”
“Mom cool it please”
“Trisha don’t say that, we are so excited”
“Anand lets go talk to them about other details”
“Yes Srija, shall we first tell them that Trisha said yes”
“Oh yea”
“Trisha Why don’t you take a nap, your Dad and I will take care of everything”

Mrs. and Mr. Anand leave the room, Trisha stands staring at them

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rekha said...

Hey Kanchana...this is Rekha, your schoolmate from Good shepherd! Read your blog! How true! :) Loved it

PS: rekharagu@gmail.com is my e-mail id, pass on your phone num..we can probably talk sometime. I live in Ann Arbor,Mi.

6:47 AM  
Blogger qqq@!$%^ said...

hey!! i love this blog..
the decisions we make and destiny! the dilemma and the deciding factors! a candid description..

1:28 AM  
Blogger Nive Ananth said...

Hey Kanchana,
Charu here....
This is incredible and I can so vividly relate to this...You have amazing potential and I know your talent will get win great rewards someday very soon:-)
Rock On!!

6:58 PM  
Blogger mokka musketeer said...

A great post.I could actually visualize everything. The minute details u went into; like the "PSBB harini" , super sunday was amazing. A great South Indian coffee material..so refreshing. Awesome post. Keep writing.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home